Swansea Comic and Gaming Convention Cosplay Competition
Details of this year’s competition to be announced soon
Attire and Costume Rules
Attire and costume must be suitable for a family event. Nudity is not permitted, nor are exposed costume or prosthetic genitalia, or extreme BDSM gear.
Skimpy costumes are permitted though concessions to accuracy are needed if skimpy to the point of negligible coverage i.e. less than typical swimwear. Take extra precautions beneath a skimpy or delicate costume to avoid exposing yourself completely should something go amiss.
If a costume is bulky, made of hard materials, or includes parts outside of usual human dimensions you must have at least one person with you as a guide.
Items that people normally carry such as umbrellas or walking sticks, as well as small mundane items such as vegetables, pans, rolling pins, and racquets are
allowed up to a length of 150cm.
Lightweight plastic or foam bats, paddles, and clubs are fine.
With the exception of items mentioned in the Banned Items list, weapon props are permitted. All Weapon Props should either be;
- Foam weapons built round a core such as those used for live action roleplaying, or;
- Unrealistic and toy guns (made of brightly coloured plastics, with flashing lights and stickers), or that are clearly science fiction based (phasers, plasma guns, blasters), and foam firing toys
The maximum size permitted is 150cm, or 180cm in the case of a staff. Larger items must be capable of being dismantled into smaller pieces and be so dismantled if the event is crowded.
Scythes are a particularly difficult item to carry safely. As such, they must be made to disconnect into two parts for carrying regardless of size.
Shields are allowed as long as they do not exceed 1 metre in height or width, and any hard edges and corners are suitably rounded off and padded.
- Roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, scooters, go-carts, and similar wheeled items (due to venue restrictions)
- Metal blades whether sharp or blunt e.g. swords, axes, and knives.
- Actual guns, rifles, or artillery.
- Heavy bats, paddles or clubs including wooden or metal baseball bats.
- Heavy items that could be used as weapons e.g. iron pokers, heavy cast iron pans, or crowbars are not permitted. Nor are power tools such as actual chainsaws or hedge trimmers.
- Bokken- a type of hard wooden (or toughened plastic) training sword.
- Explosives and incendiary devices.
- Functional strung bows or crossbows, sharp arrows or bolts.
- Heavy gas canisters.
- Protruding nails or other sharp items
- Any other items restricted or prohibited from being carried in public by UK law
If you have any queries regarding the display or transportation of a weapon or prop outside of the event, contact the relevant authority. Police may destroy confiscated items without warning.
Attendees bring items to an event at their own risk
If you have a question about anything not covered by these rules, please email it to email@example.com